In 1859 fears held by the Hutt Valley settlers that conflict between Maori and the crown would escalate led to the Blockhouse being erected.
The Blockhouse was built in 1860 by Mr W Taylor under the supervision of Corporal Tapp of the Royal Engineers. Construction cost 725 pound. The timber used for construction was totara and matai which was milled nearby at Cruickshank’s Mill. The timber still shows the mark of the circular saw. The walls are designed in a similar way to most Victorian Houses but heavier framing with one inch cladding.
This was in order to withstand the infilling of the cavity weatherboards and internal fillings. This provided protection against small arms/rifle fire. Loopholes (firing ports) are evenly spaced at elbow height on all the walls allowing return fire. The upstairs windows were added later. An accompanying magazine has since been demolished.
Thirty four men volunteered to join the local militia. They occupied the Blockhouse from December 1860 until May 1861. Neither Upper hutt or Lower Hutt’s Blockhouse’s saw any action.
The Blockhouse can be viewed at all times from the outside or by arrangement by contacting Bruce on (04) 526 8097.
Download a copy of The Blockhouse brochure.
T (04) 526 8097 | A McHardie Street, Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, Wellington